ER skills include subcomponents such as: the ability (a) to be aware of one's emotions, (b) to identify and label emotions, (c) to correctly interpret emotions related to bodily sensations, (d) to understand the prompts of emotions, (e) to support one's own self in emotionally distressing situations, (f) to actively modify negative emotions in order to feel better, (g) to accept emotions, (h) to be resilient (in order to tolerate aversive emotions), (i) to confront emotionally distressing situations in order to attain important goals, (j) to support oneself (self-support), and (k) to modify aversive emotions (see Berking & Whitley, 2014 for details).
Overcome procrastination: Enhancing emotion regulation skills reduce procrastination, Learning and Individual Differences 52 (2016) 10–18
PS1. 我们打算清理一下手套箱，make it clutter-free and a better place that we are happy to work at.
Reading for this week's meeting:
I was suprised that 20% of people procrastinate, and a research showed that all the countries surveyed had this same percentage. It would be interesting if they do a comparison between cities, eg., agricultural dominated regions and cities with many high-tech companies.
Tips mentioned in today’s discussion:
- Take time to learn about the PI's suggestions after a meeting- why did he/she think this is worth doing?
- Write down the goal and the specific tasks towards it for the next day
- Start writing a draft for the paper, and ask yourself everyday:
What do I plan to/did I add to my paper (my next GM) today ?
Topic for next meeting:
Having realized I am procrastinating, I am not able to "just do it"-
Why is it hard? How to get started?
Solving the Procrastination Puzzle, Chapter 2
- Sometimes you might not necessarily be procrastinating, you are just too tired to work.
(For me: When feeling I need a nap, don't hesitate to do it. Otherwise I won't get anything done in the afternoon.)
- Getting enough sleep may increase your will power and help making wise decisions.
- Don't force yourself to be an early bird. If getting one more hour of sleep can help you being efficient for a whole day, why not?
- Sometimes you waste a day, it's fine. Call it a day, go home and enjoy the evening and enjoy sleeping. Starting fresh tomorrow is better than feeling guilty, staying up late and ruining another day.
- It undermines your health.
- Your work can be published by others.
- It's delaying you from getting the pHD.
- It will lessen the chance of your PI getting tenured.